Building Redevelopment Project
Following the merger of Holmwood Gardens and Christ Church URCs in 1987, WURC activities have been concentrated at the Holmwood Gardens site, which is around 400 yards west from the centre of Wallington. The oldest buildings date from 1907-10, with various later additions including the main sanctuary completed in 1928.
The rooms are arranged on three levels, which reflects the piecemeal nature of the church's development, and following the merger it was recognised that they would no longer meet modern requirements. So plans were drawn up for modernisation, expansion and improved accessibility. Architects were appointed at the end of 1999, and construction finally began in July 2002. The refurbished buildings were handed back at the end of March 2003, and formally re-dedicated by the then Moderator of Southern Synod Rev Nigel Uden on June 28 2003.
A new coffee lounge and reception area has been built alongside the church, together with modern and accessible toilets. The entrances to the sanctuary and Holwood Hall were re-ordered to eliminate the side vestibules, and a new lift installed giving access to all three floors. A new kitchen was provided alongside the hall, and the old kitchen on the top floor converted into a church office.
Total cost of the redevelopment was around £700,000, including some other repairs to the buildings, complete re-wiring and redecoration. More than half of this was raised through the sale of the former Christ Church site, and we received grants of £62,500 from the URC Southern Synod. The remainder was raised through pledges from church members and a wide range of special fund-raising events, with the whole cost of the project paid off by 2010.
Return to home page